SAFA- The Gaza Center for Human Rights warned Sunday that restrictions on the entry of vehicle spare parts and maintenance supplies are pushing Gaza’s transport sector toward collapse, further undermining essential civilian services.
The center said around 70% of civilian vehicles are now fully or partially out of service as Israeli occupation forces restrict the entry of spare parts, engine oil, tires, and other supplies classified as “dual-use” items.
It estimated direct losses to the transport and communications sector at around $2.8 billion during the Israeli genocide in Gaza.
The crisis has also impaired ambulances, civil defense vehicles, hospitals, water wells, bakeries, and aid trucks. Many emergency vehicles have been taken out of service by worn-out engines and cooling systems, compounded by limited access to oil and replacement parts.
The center reported that 211 ambulances and 23 civil defense vehicles had been targeted as of the end of 2025. It said the price of a single container of engine oil has reached about $3,500 amid soaring costs for spare parts and vehicles.
The lack of functioning vehicles has forced residents to walk long distances to reach workplaces, schools, and healthcare facilities. In some cases, repair costs have exceeded the market value of the vehicles themselves.
The center warned that the continued disruption of vehicle maintenance could also affect desalination plants, sewage pumps, and bakeries, deepening Gaza’s humanitarian and environmental crisis.
It called for unrestricted entry of spare parts, engine oil, tires, and other maintenance supplies into Gaza, stressing that they are essential to sustaining civilian and humanitarian services and preventing the further collapse of critical infrastructure.
Source : Safa News