A senior Hamas political figure has accused international envoy Nikolay Mladenov of attempting to reshape negotiations over Gaza through a newly circulated roadmap that, according to the movement, goes far beyond the original framework discussed during ceasefire talks. Speaking on Friday, Basem Naim argued that publishing the document through media channels was intended to increase pressure on Palestinian negotiators rather than facilitate genuine diplomacy. He maintained that negotiations could not succeed through public pressure campaigns or unilateral reinterpretations of previous understandings.
Naim said the movement remained committed to continuing negotiations and completing the second phase of the agreement, but rejected what he described as selective implementation driven by the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He claimed that while Palestinian factions had adhered to the humanitarian obligations outlined in the first phase, Israeli military operations had continued daily across Gaza. According to his account, hundreds of Palestinians had been killed and thousands injured since the agreement was signed last October, while reconstruction materials and heavy equipment remained blocked from entering the territory.
He also pointed to severe restrictions on humanitarian access, saying the number of aid lorries entering Gaza remained far below agreed levels and that the Rafah crossing had still not fully reopened. Naim alleged that Israeli forces had expanded the territory under their direct military control during the genocidal war, despite ongoing diplomatic efforts aimed at securing a lasting ceasefire. He argued that the humanitarian situation in Gaza should not be tied to political conditions or security demands, insisting that civilian needs were protected under international law.
Addressing proposals linked to disarmament, Naim said the movement viewed armed resistance as inseparable from the reality of occupation, though he claimed Palestinian factions had shown flexibility to avoid a return to the genocide. He stated that proposals had been discussed involving a long-term ceasefire under international guarantees, with weapons ultimately placed under the authority of a future independent Palestinian state. He rejected calls for “one authority, one law and one weapon” when applied to what he described as unelected or externally directed governing bodies.
On Gaza’s post-war administration, Naim said efforts to establish a technocratic committee had repeatedly stalled because of Israeli objections, despite coordination attempts involving Palestinian factions and Egyptian mediators. He claimed a transitional administrative structure had already been prepared and that local officials were ready to hand over responsibilities, including security files, once approval was granted for the committee to enter Gaza.
The Hamas official also condemned recent targeted killings carried out during the genocidal war, including attacks that reportedly killed relatives of senior negotiators and prominent commanders in Gaza. He argued the killings were intended to intimidate negotiators into making political concessions during talks. Despite this, he insisted the movement would continue participating in negotiations, while calling on mediators and international guarantors to ensure full implementation of the ceasefire arrangements and unrestricted humanitarian access into Gaza.
Source : Safa News